There are literally hundreds of bees, so to see them all you need more than 1 day. I saw 10 on the afternoon / evening first arrived as 2 outside Piccadilly Station where arrived and then saw others walking to get dinner.
The second day I saw 92. Often little bees are in colonies I.e grouped close together, so you can see lots quickly.
There is an app which is great at counting up how many seen. On each bee is a number which key into app, when next to bee and it unlocks it; I found this fun. The app also gives rewards for unlocking certain bees.
I have been sharing my bees on my instrgram also called Wonderwall360 using #beesinthecity and #beesinthecitymcr which have thousands of other images attached.
The bees are in location in Manchester until 23rd September. Then prior to the auction, they are all in one place weekend of 12-14 Oct; tickets need to be bought for this and are expected to go quickly.
- In addition to the app, a paper map is also useful, they are available various places including information office next to bus information in Piccadily gardens and the library.
- I believe there is a bee at Manchester airport, so if you are on a train heading to the airport a strategy could be to stay on, see bee then jump back on a train into centre.
- Unlocking bee outside Harvey Nicks gives you a reward for free hot drink in Harvey Nicks.
- Unlocking the bee in front of Nando’s in Piccadily gardens gives you discount in Nando’s.
- Unlocking bees in Corn Exchange gives you a discount on those bees.
- Some bees are in buildings which will not be open 24/7. For example Manchester Art Gallery does not open until 10am but, the bee inside is a fine sparkly specimen.
- The cathedral is best place for seeing lots of bees quickly.
- I saw all the ones I saw walking from Piccadily and there are more within walking distance from there. But there are odd ones further out, which would need transport to see.
My favourite bees
- Crown jewals in Manchester Art Gallery because so sparkly.
- Pablo bee which features bright colourful Pablo Picasso inspired designs.
- Rock and Roll bee because Liam Gallagher helped design it.
- Mr Bee-n as fond memories of Mr Ben which inspired the design.