A basic principle to remember is it important to remember tickets are sold through each venue and the Edinburgh fringe. Therefore there can be tickets in two places.
1. If Edinburgh fringe says have no tickets and to check with venue, it is worth checking and not assuming all tickets are gone as the venue may have tickets that fringe does not. Particularly in last 30minutes, before a show the Fringe many not have any but venue may have.
2. If buy tickets from Edinburgh fringe, you need to collect from an Edinburgh fringe office or machine. The venue where the show is, may not have an Edinburgh fringe machine. Therefore if arrive at venue without tickets you may then have be sent to an Edinburgh fringe machine.
2. You can get 2-1 ticket may paring to friend of Edinburgh Fringe, but if do that need to buy tickets from Fringe rather than venue. Make sure buy tickets well in advance of show as close to show all tickets may be at venue rather than Fringe and venues do not honour the 2 for 1.
3. Some shows may restrict late comers to first few minutes of a show, so may miss out if not on time. Even if show allows late comers, please remember by arriving late you are disturbing performers and rest of audience.
4. To avoid being late, plan where shows are. Do not rely on google maps too much as venues may have different names during fringe and / or be buried inside buildings. Bear in mind streets get full of people during Fringe so that can slow journeys down.