There is no cure for vascular dementia. Treatment for vascular dementia aims to prevent further damage which could involve the dementia following:
- Changing diet. To reduce weight or low salt to lower blood pressure as high blood pressure causes vascular damage.
- Stopping smoking.
- Reducing alcohol.
- Medication to treat diabetes if that is a problem.
- Medications to treat high blood pressure.
- Medication to prevent blood clots like April or clipidigral or warfarin.
- Medications to treat high cholesterol as cholesterol can block blood vessels. These medications are caused statins.
The medications to treat Alzheimer’s are not effective for vascular dementia alone but are used if patients have Alzheimer’s as well as Vascular Dementia.